alt
Conservation
In 1959, a very strong hurricane caused major damage

In their research carried out on the occasion of its bicentenary (1785-1985), which won a competition organised by the Royal Maestranza of Cavalry, Francisco and Antonio Garrido describe the different work that has been carried out on various buildings belonging to the Bullring , highlighting the construction that took place following the collapse of May 1784 and the aftermath of the War of Independence.

The relocation of the monumental main door to Calle Virgin de la Paz in 1923, where it stands today, due to the fact that the newly built Espinel Theatre was now obscuring its view, and which was originally constructed in 1788 from pink sandstone extracted from the outskirts of Ronda and located opposite the Puente Nuevo bridge intersection, is among one of the most important pieces of work carried out in the twentieth century.

The structure of the precincts was later affected while serving as a «Car Park, concentration camp and accommodation for a Mountain Artillery Group » during the civil war, as a result of which, the architect José Manuel Benjumea carried out phased reinforcement and repairs on different parts of the construction during the 1940's.

Further works

In 1959, a very strong hurricane caused major damage, requiring further works to be carried out in 1963 and 1964, which were led by architects Francisco Pons Sorolla and Ramiro Moya from the Department of Architecture, which were completed in September 1965.

The Architecture Studio of Cristina Borrero Beca, María Caballos Rufino and Isabel Serrano Campello has been working on a Rehabilitation project for the Ronda Bullring since 1997, inspired by the zealous spirit of the Royal Maestranza in its work on the preservation and improvement of the buildings.

The Bullring was clearly in need of repair, due mainly to water damage as well as existing imbalances and collapses in the stone arcade since its construction. It was also necessary to rethink the access points to the stands at the bullring, due to the fact that the stairs were too narrow to allow a swift and safe evacuation of spectators in the event of an emergency.

Comprehensive Repairs

Work commenced with comprehensive repairs carried out on the stone arcade consisting of a chemical and mechanical clean-up to rid those areas prone to being covered with superficial deposits, build-ups and layers of black dust and metal scale that could potentially damage the original materials, sealing any cracks and reconstructing volumes with mortar similar to the original stone. The roof was dismantled and repaired thus eliminating the problematic humidity that had existed, taking advantage of the opportunity to make it lighter and rendering the Bullring more stable. It was completed with a biocide treatment and consolidation to protect the overall structure. The stairs layout was redesigned to improve public access to the stalls, within the realms of what the constructive system permitted, making a dramatic improvement to the entrances and exits to comply with current safety regulations. Decorations from previous eras were recovered from the coverts and barriers with the hope of reigniting historical interest in the Bullring.

"Construction began to improve the tourist entrance"

Once work rendering the Bullring safe and secure was completed, construction began to improve the tourist entrance owing to the fact that it had some very interesting annexed spaces, with illustrations that would allow the public to understand the dynamics of a bullfight without having to see a show in the ring. A more detailed and extensive tour was introduced, allowing broader access to the buildings, with the provision of toilet facilities and the opening of a shop as well as the opening of the Museum of the history of Bullfighting, Harness Collection and the Firearms Room. The logical structure of the Bullring was once more restored, with rooms of varying height in the lower stalls and circle, where the first two exhibition spaces are located, giving it a unique architecture style.

Furnishings

The heritage preservation work carried out principally on the paint, wood, furniture and walls was led by Ignacio Antequera Jordán de Urríes and Adelaida Dolagaray Clerc de Lasalle until 2010, later taken over by Adelaida Dolagaray Clerc de Lasalle who are also in charge of restoration work in the Museum.

Excerpt from the article by Isabel Serrano "Works carried out at the Bullring". taken from the book The Ronda Bullring. 225 years
C/ Virgen de la Paz 15 • 29400 Ronda (Málaga) • Teléfono: 952 871 539 • Fax: 952 870 379 • © RMR 2015 | Aviso legal